Dutch Corner History Group

DutchCorner.org or DutchCornerPA.com
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Peter stiffler's farm DC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 pm 

I love the site. I came to DC last year to do some family history work and think that the area is wonderful. After looking at the maps on this site I see that Peter Stifflers land is shown. Does anyone have information on the farms location or history? I am sending my dad to the area for a few days of research (this is his first time in the area) and I would like to send him out with some Stiffler history points of interest. Any suggestions will be helpful. I would like to find Peter Stiffler's grave as well. Died in 1810
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the site! I'm glad you like our website!

Looking at the topographic map that has the general areas of the Land Warrants located on it, it looks like Peter's land is close to Imlertown. When I pulled up a google map to look at the area, it looks like the one plot was located between Yont's Road and Imlertown Road (both of these roads intersect Briar Valley Road, and the "main" part of Imlertown is located on Yont's Road). To get the exact location, you'd probably have to go to the Court House. I know that Tax Assessment used to be where that information was, but it may be in the Register/Recorder's office now, since they do the deeds (and it's been a while since I've been in there looking for where someone's property used to be!).

Though, I must say that "Stiffler Ridge" or "Stiffler's Ridge" begins between Imlertown Road and Dibert Road, about a mile past the new jail. I'm not sure what Stiffler that's named after...I may have to look that up.

As for Peter's grave, I know that there were a couple Stiffler's in Albright cemetery, and they're dates weren't too much later than 1810. Of course, he could always have been buried on his farm, which stinks, because the small farm cemeteries are almost all gone now, though we keep looking for them! I see online where some people say that he's buried at Messiah Lutheran Church. I haven't photographed all of Messiah yet, so I don't know for sure. If I hear for sure where he may be buried, I'll be sure to let you know!

Thanks!
Lora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm 

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 pm 

I would love to know the location of Peter Stiffler's farm when you locate it in DC. There are Stiffler's, a mountain named after them and a family cemetery in Kimmel Twp. also.